American Express (Amex) is a credit card provider based in America. Amex is also operational in India and provides many card varients to Indian customers. This guide is for you if you have any variant of an Amex credit card. Before activating the card, you must activate it. American Express has provided online services to activate your Amex card. This guide will show how to do American express credit card activation step-by-step.
Table of Contents
Requirements for American Express Credit Card –
- Your Amex Card number
- Four-digit card ID
- Your date of birth
- 3-digit CSC number printed on the back of the card.
- Your mobile number or email ID registered with the bank must be with you. (to receive OTP)
Once you have everything in place, let’s learn the process of activating amex card.
American Express credit card activation step-by-step process.
This activation can be done online through the website or mobile App. The process is the same for both processes. For this guide, I will be using a Mobile app to activate my Amex credit card since it is convenient, and I can also activate my mobile App simultaneously.
- Open American Express Mobile App on your smartphone.
Install Amex India for Android
Install Amex India for iOS
- Open the App on your smartphone.
- From the first page, tap the ‘Activate your Amex Card‘ button.
- Enter the 15 digits Amex Card number and press the Continue button.
- On the new page, enter a four-digit card ID, and press the Continue button.
- To verify yourself, enter your date of birth in DDMMYYYY format. If you forgot your date of birth, you can enter the OTP received on your registered mobile number and verify your identity.
- On the next page, you can create a User ID for your card login.
- The user ID must be between 5 – 20 characters.
- Must begin with a letter
- Must include a number
- The user ID cannot contain special characters.
- Tap the Continue button after you enter the user id of your choice.
- On the new page, you can now create a password for login.
- The password must be between 8 – 20 characters.
- Must include a letter and number.
- It cannot have any space.
- Only special characters allowed are % & _ ? #
- Tap on the ‘Continue‘ button after you enter a password of your choice.
- On the next page, you can select a security question and enter the answer to the question.
- Done! Your amex credit card is activated.
After card activation, you must create a PIN for your amex card. Let’s see how it’s done.
How to create PIN for American Express Credit card?
- Open Amex App on your phone.
- Tap on the Account option at the bottom of the App.
- Select ‘Manage card PIN‘ option.
- Enter the four-digit Security number of the card.
- Enter the three-digit CSC number of the card.
- Select the OTP verification method and enter the OTP received on your mobile or email id.
- You can now see/set the PIN for your Amex Credit card.
This is how you can easily create PIN for Amex credit card.
In addition to this, you have to enable online transactions and International transactions on your cards as per your preferences. We have explained the detailed steps on this in a separate article here.
In this guide, we have seen American express credit card activation in detail. If you have any doubts regarding the information provided in the article, let us know in the comment section below.